On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> About three years ago my original modem died (during a dist-upgrade,
> of all things - gawd what a mess that made!). I googled for good
> quality replacements and ended up with a Linksys CM100. I don't
> recall how much I paid, but you can get it for $53 with free
> shipping here:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Cisco-Cable-Ethernet-Connection/dp/B000WIK61I

These days, I think you want a DOCSIS 3.0 device if you have a choice.
The CM100 supports DOCSIS 2.0, which will work fine with the
lower-tier Comcast offerings but will prevent you from moving to the
"wideband" (50 Mb/s) speeds in the future.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinl...@madboa.com <> http://www.madboa.com/