Hi all,

I believe I have successfully set up my wireless g router.  There is
no security, no wep, or whatever, as far as I can tell.  I don't know
if I should do that or not.

I am trying to set up a wireless laser monochrome printer.  It is the
Brother HL-2270DW.  According to one review at Newegg.com, it is a
linux friendly computer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828113545&cm_re=hl-2270DW-_-28-113-545-_-Product

I copied the review at the end of the email in case you want to read it.

So....I plugged in the printer using a usb connection.  Ubuntu 10.04
detected that I attached a printer.  A dialog box came up with three
radio buttons to choose from.

The first radio button said "Select printer from database"

The second radio button said "Provide PPD file"

The third radio button said "Search for a printer driver to download"

When I hit the first radio button, I'm given a list of "makes" to
choose from.  I picked "Brother", and then hit the forward button.
Then I'm given a list of "Models" and told to "Choose Driver".  There
are lots of drivers to choose from, but there is not an "HL-2270DW" to
choose from.  So....I did not choose any.

I went back and looked at the second radion button.  I don't know what
a PPD file is...let alone how to provide it.

I then went with the third radio button, and the search result said
"--No matches found--"

So, ubuntu 10.04 didn't automatically take care of me.  I did a google
search on how to get a brother HL-2270DW to work on ubuntu 10.04, and
found the following stuff.

According to the link

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/need-help-getting-brother-hl-2270dw-printer-to-work-with-ubuntu-10-04-a-848196/

It literally says the following:

According to this link
-->http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...valuation.html your printer
is known to work with 10.04 32 and 64 bit versions; ( second last box
).

At the above just cited link

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/evaluation.html

The HL-2270DW is under the

Printer Driver (lpr driver and cupswrapper driver)

but it is not under

Printer Driver (PPD File)

I don't remember how I found the following link

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/index.html

but it says,

Brother Drivers for Linux® distributions

>From the just cited web page, I clicked on the following 3 links.

The first link Download "Printer Driver"

The second link says Instruction Printer (CUPS) "Driver Install"

The third links say Instruction Printer (LPR): "Driver Install"

The first link took me to

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html

where I clicked on the "HL-2270DW" which took me to

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#HL-2270DW

where I downloaded on to my computer an HL-2270DW LPR Driver
and I downloaded on to my computer an HL-2270DW cupswrapper driver

So, now there are two files sitting on my desktop

hl2270dwlpr-2.1.0-1.i386.deb
cupswrapperHL2270DW-2.0.4-2.i386.deb

and I don't know what to do, or which one to use, or even if I have
the right thing.  Am I even on the right track in getting my printer
to work?

The second link from above
The second link says Instruction Printer (CUPS) "Driver Install"

took me to
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/instruction_prn1.html
where it says

Models available with Brother ppd file :

but I don't see HL-2270DW in the list.

The third link from above
The third links say Instruction Printer (LPR): "Driver Install"
took me to
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/instruction_prn3.html
where it says

LPR Driver Install
Follow the 6 steps below to install a driver.

but in step 2 it says
For Debian/Ubuntu 64 bit

but I'm sure my old computer is 32 bit.

So....I'm not sure what to do.  Do I do something with the two files I
have on my desktop, from following the first link.
Am I out of luck based on the fact of not finding the HL-2270DW in the
list that I found folling the second link
Am I out of luck based on the fact that my computer is 32 bit, not 64
bit, as per indicated on the third link.

Also, the printer came with a CD, and instrtuction book, on how to
configure it in Windows, and Mac.  In fact, my friend bought the same
printer, and he uses windows, and I set it up.  It was just a matter
of following the getting started guide that came with the printer.  It
was vapidly easy, and did not take any perspicacity on my part, i.e. I
just clicked through Dialog windows.  The point is I have a disk that
came with the printer.  Maybe what I need for linux is on there, and I
don't know what it is.

The end goal is to get my printer to work wirelessly, and to have
duplex printing, that I can turn on and off as needed.

I don't know what else to do, but I hope I've been sufficiently duly
diligent in trying to figure out how this stuff works, and I hope I've
articulated the efforts I've gone through to such an extent that it
will merit your consideration in helping me.

Sincerely,
Victor Soich

P.S. Below is the review from Newegg.com which helped prompt me to get
this printer, along with the fact that it was a Friday after
Thanksgiving deal.

Pros: High speed, duplexing, great print quality, Unbelievable price,
good support for Linux (even duplexing).

Cons: Cost of toner, but by the time I need to replace the toner
cartridge, I'm confident that prices and sources will be similar to
the current prices and sources for the HL-2170w.

Other Thoughts: I have 40 years in the IT industry, and I'm not in the
habit of reading the instructions, unless all else fails. I changed my
normal habit, for this printer installation, because I had read a
number of reviews that slammed the Brother documented installation
process. I followed the Brother installation process for a wireless
installation exactly, to see if it was truly as bad as some reviews
had said.

To install the printer, you need to connect your pc to the printer,
and 3 methods are described (usb cable, ethernet cable, or ad-hoc
connection). I chose to connect via an ethernet cable, and the
installation process worked flawlessly. The only thing that I felt
wasn't covered was reserving the IP address that was assigned to the
printer. That, of course, was more in the relm of the router than the
printer.

Once the printer was available on the network, I installed drivers on
workstations running winxp, vista, and PCLinuxOS 2010, all without
significant problems.