> I tried using grub to attempt to boot. I set up the following based on (1)
> what I saw using the knoppix disk that the internal drives were mounted on
> /media/sda5 and /media/sdb1...../media/sda5 has the normal linux file system
> and sdb1 has my backup folders, and (2) grub's tab completion.
>
> grub> root (hd0,4)
> grub> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-1-686 root =/dev/sda5
> grub> initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.26-1-686
> grub> boot
>
> I get as far as:
> Kernel panic: not syncing: VFS unable to mount rootfs on unknown block(0,0)

Ok, so it sounds like grub is finding your root partition fine, but
the kernel isn't.  I see above that you indicated you are specifying a
2.6.21 kernel and a 2.6.26 initrd image.  That is most likely not
going to work.  Have you tried setting those version numbers the same
on any of the alternative kernels you've tried?

tim