I repeat the helpful answer from Rich to my similar question asked about a
year ago (below).  For my business, I'm using gnucash with some success, it
is fast and reliable, but invoicing is awkward and I haven't gotten bank
transaction downloads to work. (How well does LedgerSMB work for those tasks
Rich?).

I gave up on LedgerSMB, when I needed to create the chart of accounts for my
company.  Seemed like there should have been an example I could tweak, but I
didn't find it.

Good Luck.  Please let us know where your journey ends...

-- Pat

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 6:44 AM, Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com>wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Apr 2011, Daniel Herrington wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have practical experience with any open source accounting
> > software for business?
>
> Daniel,
>
>   Sure do! There's a fork of SQL-Ledger (although Armaghan refuses to call
> it a fork) called Ledger-123. He and the other developers have fixed broken
> code, cleaned the code, patched bugs, and added features. I've been nudging
> him to add more service-business-oriented features and they'll eventually
> be
> there.
>
>   L123 is adaptable to virtually all businesses. There is a great community
> on the mail list and if you know perl you can do things yourself. Most of
> us
> use postgres as a backend, but there are choices, and it will work with
> almost every Web browser.
>
>   I've been using it for a decade now and really like it.
>
> Rich

p.j.timl...@ieee.org
www.timlick.com
503-476-3119