On Sat, 7 May 2011, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   Can anyone here recommend a scanner for color photographic prints that
> doesn't cost a fortune? This would be for archival purposes, not printing
> at high resolution.

   Perhaps I'm asking the wrong question. Instead, let me try asking what I
should read to be able to scan color photographs using my HP Scanjet 5200C.

   I tried scanning a Polaroid print and it came out totally solarized. I'm
not a color maven so I have no idea if the default xsane settings are off or
what I should change to get better quality from the scan.

Rich