Folks,

Every now and then, Firefox seems impossible to handle -- I see a thick
vertical black bar (approx 2" in a 12" wide screen) in the left hand
side of the screen, and Firefox windows become almost impossible to
read.

When I switch into a terminal and run the top command, the number one
user is Xorg, using like 80+% of the CPU. (That's always seemed odd on
an i7 laptop, but I think that's a different issue.) It is followed
closely by Firefox at about 10% of CPU.

After a few minutes, the problem dissipates, the black bar disappears,
and I'm able to use Firefox again. My wild guess is that it might be
java related, as it happens only on certain websites, but don't know.

While this is "just an annoyance" on my (i7, T410, 8GB) RHEL 6 laptop
(haven't seen this in Ubuntu 10.04, but use that less frequently), I
would appreciate some insight, if available.

Thanks,
Mike