I'm looking at Arcsoft's package for doing this under Windows, but I
wonder if there is a decent open source free alternative?  I use
handbrake to go from DVD to MPEG4.  So far this works because the DVDs
aren't encrypted.  I want to do things like trim out commercials and
dead space from when I fell asleep and let the tape run out.  The
machine I'm using to record the DVD's has a 1 hour setting, a 2 hour 4
minutes setting, a 3 hour something setting, and I believe a 4 hour
setting.  Unfortunately, you can't look on the tape box, dial in the
time plus 4-5 minutes, and leave.  The machine should be modified, but
modifying it isn't trivial.

A unit with built-in Grex and/or a unit that doesn't recognize copy
protection codes would be great.