1)  How do I pick one where the expectation is that I will almost always
block the spammers?

2)  How do I use them from a Perl script working with actual packets
thrown up to user space?

3)  How can I keep this simple so that a novice Perl user will be able
to do what I'm doing, granted, I need to get better with Perl?

So how does one maintain a DNS blacklist?  Do the IPs in the list have
to be aged?  Is it enough to have a web page where blocked site admins
can send an email requesting clearance to get through?  My blacklisting
philosophy right now is simple, I blacklist any IP that spams me.

A curious question, shouldn't I be able to look up any IP that is
claiming to be a mail server via the DNS system?  My thought is, I
can ignore infected personal computers if there are no DNS records
listing them as legitimate email servers for legitimate domains or
better yet no IP records at all.