On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:47:56 -0700 Aaron Burt wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 02:27:59PM -0700, Randal L. Schwartz
> wrote:
>> I'd actually argue that there are far more non-Linux Unix
>> installations in commercial space than Linux installations. Maybe
>> more hobbyist Linux installs.
>
> About the only way I could think of that pencilling out would be
> if you counted personal iPhones and Macs, and not Linux VMs.
>
> And even then, it's about even-steven at $JOB (ad agency with lots
> of Mac-loving "creatives".)
>
> We dumped the Solaris boxen years ago.  Linux tends to run on lots
> of little devices, while HPUX and AIX usually goes on the Big
> Enterprise Host.
>
> (Won't go into $JOB[-1] where Linuxboxen outnumbered coworkers by
> an order of magnitude or so.  Heaven.)
>
> But that's just my experience,

With all great respect to Randall, I have to agree with you about this.

Maybe - just maybe - if we include all iPhones, iPads and Macs as
Unix, add in all the retail chain stores running SCO Unix, and even
throw in all the consumer electronics devices running a cut-down
variant of BSD, you might be able to count up enough Unix boxes to
match the number of Linux boxes, under some interpretation of
'commercial space'. (But lots of set-top boxes and the like run Linux,
so they go in that other list. And Android smartphones are selling
like hotcakes, will crush iPhones.)

And then there's Google - it alone puts 10,000 or more Linux servers
in each of its large datacenters, and it has seven of those at the
moment, not counting its smaller, rented facilities. And Amazon,
Rackspace and a huge raft of other hosting vendors, all with a few
Linux boxes at the smallest ones up to hundreds or even thousands at
the really large ones.

There is also the financial industry. It was among the first to pick
up Linux, and for years it did not talk about it because Wall Street
firms regarded it as a competitive advantage. But the trading floors,
and hot high-frequency trading operations, and huge number-crunching
analytical backends mostly run... Linux. There are still a few
mainframes involved for high reliability, and also some Unix systems,
but - though I cannot prove this - I'll bet that the majority of
financial systems run Linux, even those that run on IBM mainframes
under VM. Yes, most core banking systems still run on IBM mainframes,
but we're comparing Linux vs Unix, and those core banking transaction
systems are relatively few in number.

Oh, and supercomputers too. The vast majority of those are using
Linux, as we see at the Top 500 list -
http://top500.org/stats/list/37/osfam - plus most of those, over 80
percent, have between 4k and 16k processors.

CERN and its worldwide network of university partners run mostly
Linux, and even the US military is moving to Linux. It no doubt still
has some Solaris, AIX and HPUX servers in its myriad commands and
organizations, but each of those big Unix boxes is surrounded by
dozens to hundreds of workstations and PCs that are running either
Linux or Microsoft Windows.

We all know Windows doesn't count, anymore. It's the stupid consumer OS.

Linus Torvalds was not kidding about world domination. Sharing is grace.

Regards,
Robert