http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-5128652-1.html

The review above isn't necessarily valid legal advice, but I think it
explains how the DMCA is causing problems with the traditional
understanding of fair use.

http://dvd-copy-review.upickreviews.com/is-copying-dvds-legal.html

Another site to look at on this issue.  I think it is ridiculous to have
a law protecting CSS encryption.  The point of CSS encryption is to stop
pirating, but it will also stop legitimate copying.  Fair use doesn't
mean you can give copies away or sell copies, but it does allow you to
make copies.

http://www.winxdvd.com/resource/rip-copy-protected-dvd.htm

Maybe this third link is to a company selling illegal software.  What
they say leans heavily though on the fair use concept.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripping

Interesting, don't know how to rate this though.  What concerns me is
that the DMCA makes circumvention of copy protection schemes apparently
illegal.  Trouble is, how can one fairly circumvent the schemes for
making legal personal use copies if it is illegal for anyone to give you
information on how to do this?  If my understanding is correct, the DMCA
should be amended.  Maybe it should be permissible to have a third party
defeat the encryption to give you one personal use only DVD without the
encryption.  Or, maybe the information to defeat the encryption should
be legal to share.  Another option, make encrypted media sold to the
public at large illegal.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/119549/dvd_ripping_flourishes.html

This fourth link is to what seems to be a good article on DVD ripping.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/08/judge-copying-dvds-is-illegal/

I agree with the notion that Hollywood is crippling technology and that
this is the wrong way to address losing money on DVDs, VHS, and Blu Ray
discs.  I want to ignore the whole cannot acquire or share copy
protection circumvention tools.  Otherwise, I can't play these
legitimately purchased movies off of a computer hard drive.  The problem
is definitely that the law is unclear and completely inconsistent.