FINALLY have the DSL working sorta-kinda at the new office.  I did
not want to use the standard/only Actiontec PK5000, so I bought a
simpler Actiontec GT701D, and the network is now running with that.

BTW, I looked around inside with telnet with username admin, and
the admin password.  It is running a Monte Vista 2.4.17 kernel,
with Busybox on a 160MHz MIPS cpu, 16MB RAM.  One can look in
the proc tables to find the pppd password and other goodies.

Anyway, I'm learning about Qwest/CenturyLink DSL, and PPPoE and
such.  I want to firewall my system with an Alix (which will do
internal DNS, split off a DMZ with occasional bandwidth throttling
for PTP wireless, terminate VPN links, etc.).  It appears possible
(but not necessarily easy or prudent) to run the Actiontec in
bridge mode, instead of it as a NAT/DNS/DHCP box.  I would use
the Alix for most of the work, and transition to IPv6 at the Alix
end in a year or three.

I assume I can run pppd from the Alix instead, using something
resembling the pppd command that the Actiontec is using.

But is this wise?  Pluggers have been talking about DSL and PPP
and bridge mode on the list for a decade now.  Some of you might
have useful suggestions about how I should proceed for the next
decade.  Suggestions?

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com         Voice (503)-520-1993