# from chris (fool) mccraw
# on Thursday 20 October 2011 00:16:

>On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 12:25, Keith Lofstrom <kei...@kl-ic.com> wrote:
>> I assume it is possible to duplicate the same identical graphic
>> window from the same client on two different X displays ("servers").
>>
>> Can this be done, how is it done, and what is the process called?
>
>sounds like you want something like vnc.  you can certainly
>multiply-connect and define the behavior to be either both-drive or
>one-drives,one-watches.

I find that x11vnc seems to work pretty well for remotely helping with a
running session (vs needing to run a vnc server and connect-in from
both users.)  The '-id'/'-sid' options look very interesting for
Keith's use, but might assume that your program will not have any popup
dialogs (maybe just do '-clip').

>The tricky part is that each X display has a keyboard and a mouse.
>When the operator of each display moves their mouse into the window,
>I would expect the mouse movements to be combined somehow, and the
>text stream from each keyboard to be combined also.

I think it has to be a completely shared cursor+keyinput with vnc, which
leads to control conflicts and you typically need to have a voice
connection going to negotiate who is controlling.  The main problem I
have is getting my vncviewer window unfocussed without a) moving the
remote mouse or b) sending 'alt' or another meta key to the remote end
(only the 'alt' part of alt+tab makes it through and then the remote
user gets surprised when 'alty' things start happening.)  If warranted,
some extra input hardware and a bit of Perl would let you have an
on/off switch for the remote window focus (see your spare tenkey pad,
Linux::USBKeyboard and X11::GUITest's SetInputFocus(), RaiseWindow(),
and LowerWindow().)

Two cursors is possible, but that's a whole different bag of mice:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Pointer_X -- now where's the
remote... http://usbip.sourceforge.net?

--Eric
--
Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do. The best way to
predict the future is to invent it.