On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 08:26 -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> My wife's new clinic will be running OpenEMR, an open source
> medical records program.  Sometimes patients (or their other
> doctors) want copies of their records.  Rather than kill trees,
> I am thinking about putting their patient record on a stripped
> down linux live CD, along with a specially configured version
> of OpenEMR.
>
> This would have interesting "evangelistic" consequences for
> both Linux and OpenEMR.
>
> To do this properly, the patient data portions of the live
> CD should be password encrypted.  Also, it would be nice
> to have a very fast CD writer, with some kind of automagic
> labelling system so that the CD gets a readable label before
> it is handled by people (we don't want to accidentally swap
> the CDs going to two different patients).

Sounds excellent. From your verbiage, it sounds like you're up to speed
on HIPPA and related privacy regulations. I assume they don't regulate
in this kind of detail (but don't know). Assuming you have the
flexibility available, have you considered using USB keys -- they could
be set up with read/only (for the "Live CD") and read/write partitions
(for patient data). I assume such rw partitions can be LUKS encrypted.

Drawbacks -- that means you wouldn't have access to the CD labelers that
laser the label right on top of the media, and USB keys are more
expensive.

Thanks,
Mike