I was given 2 Cisco Analog Telephone Adapters.  There are both model
186/188.  I'm wondering what I can use them for, & if they use SIP?
I'll either be using them in a simple setup here at home, or I'll donate
them to Free Geek Seattle for their phone system.  I am one of the main
people starting Free Geek Seattle.

Thanks very much

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Aaron Burt <aa...@bavariati.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 04:44:29PM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> > I want an open source IP hard phone.
> >
> > The furniture is moved.  I'm back to working on Asterisk. <snip>
>
> Congratulations!
>
> > For example, controlling the response to button presses.
> > I'd like the option of the phone sending IP messages to
> > Asterisk rather than making voice channel beeps, or
> > navigating some preprogrammed response chain in the phone.
>
> Hm.  Most of the hardphones I worked with were somewhat flexible.  But I
> was working with Aastra and Snom phones.  I think they were sending SIP
> messages for the button presses.  But they really are programmable
> terminals, each one different, with programmability confined within the
> bounds that the vendor chose.  A lot like the "Smart terminals" of yore.
>
> I suspect that the Ciscos are designed to act a lot like your standard
> office desk phone, with a few dedicated-function keys for transfer/redial
> etc. and a few "line" keys.  Rule #1 of successful office IT: make it shiny
> and new, but DON'T CHANGE A THING. :)
>
> So get your "transfer" key working and give 'em voicemail and "hold", and
> hold off on the improvements.  I know that you know how important it is to
> do a first-class job for this particular client.

Free Geek Seattle- Helping The Needy Get Nerdy
http://www.freegeekseattle.org/
https://groups.google.com/group/freegeek-seattle/topics?hl=en

K Desktop Environment- Experience Freedom & User Friendliness
http://kde.org/

Free Lossless Audio Codec
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Flac

Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM, learn more at