On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 13:19 -0800, John Meissen wrote:
> Benjamin Kerensa said:
> > 11.10 has had some weird issues with xscreensaver especially in Ubuntu  but
> > I'm not sure about Xubuntu. I know there has been some changes to the
> > upgrade
> > tool.
>
> There are some pretty serious issues with laptops and external monitors.
> I refuse to stray off of the LTS releases, but my daughter recently
> ugraded from 10.10 to 11.04 and hasn't been able to get an external
> monitor to work reliably since.
>
> For instance...
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/858046
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-settings/+bug/882143
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nvidia-drivers-ubuntu/+bug/882134
>
> A Google search seems to indicate a number of problems, from Unity vs
> "Classic" to the nvidia driver, some of which claim to be fixed, others
> still open/unresolved.
>
> I'll know more when she's home for xmas in a couple of weeks, but for
> now I'm recommending she go back to and stay on 10.04 unless there's a
> compelling reason for upgrading.

11.04 worked well on both my laptop and my desktop, but on the laptop
11.10 won't turn the backlight back on -- there's no way I'm installing
it on my work machine!

11 also lost the ability to switch keyboard maps in the login screen.
Since I type in Dvorak and I've got people in the household who use
QWERTY, this was a nice feature -- I can use a QWERTY keyboard, but I
need to look at my fingers to do so, and it really slows me down.

I need to reinstall 11.04 on the laptop, then sit tight for 12.04, or
whatever the next LTS release is.

--

Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com