On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 6:30 PM, John Jason Jordan <joh...@comcast.net> wrote:
> It used to be that to go to eBay all I had to type in the URL bar was
> "ebay" (Firefox or Opera), and the browser would assume I wanted to
> add .com to the URL. Of course, if I wanted pdxlinux it would assume I
> wanted pddxlinux.com, so you could leave off the .com only with sites
> that were really .com sites.
>
> Several months ago I noticed that Firefox no longer did this. When I
> type "ebay" in the URL bar it takes me to Google. Google lists eBay at
> the top of the hits, but I still have to wait for the Google page to
> load and then click a second time. This is very annoying. Google gets
> the benefit of another web user going to their site and seeing their
> ads, at the expense of the user's time and convenience.
>
> And it does the same now for Opera as well. I've looked everywhere in
> both browsers for a setting to change it back to the old behavior, but
> I can't find it anywhere. Note that I said that I can't find it; I did
> not say it's not there. :) Both browsers have thousands of settings to
> sort through, half of which are incomprehensibly labeled.
>
> Is this another usurpation of the web by the giant that I love to
> hate? Has anyone else noticed this? Or is it my fault again?

See Chris's message for placing blame where it's due, and for the
record, this is a change I actually like (although I'm a full-time
chrome user, which behaves similarly).

The workaround (tested in ff):  press <ctrl>-enter instead of <enter>

The fix: (also in Firefox)

Open about:config, click "Yes I'll be careful, type "keyword.enabled"
into the search box in the about:config *page*, click on the
keyword.enabled line so it is set to false.

Not exactly the first thing you think of...

--Rogan