This is a brand new laptop?  If so, the hardware way be too new for
the right drivers to be included in any distro yet.  If it is new, you
should try a bleeding edge live distro, like Sabayon, or Fedora.

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07095

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1927

On 3/15/12, Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2012, C W wrote:
>
>> Actually, that's a good suggestion, John.
>
>    Yes, it is. I booted the xubuntu-11.10 dvd and it kept disconnecting me
> from the wired network, just like it did on the wireless attempts. Trying
> 'dmesg | grep eth' yields nothing.
>
>    I suspect it's defective hardware since it won't connect wirelessly or
> via
> Ethernet. Must have a warranty period longer than a month or two.
>
> Sigh,
>
> Rich

Free Geek Seattle- Helping The Needy Get Nerdy
http://www.freegeekseattle.org/
https://groups.google.com/group/freegeek-seattle/topics?hl=en

K Desktop Environment- Experience Freedom & User Friendliness
http://kde.org/

Free Lossless Audio Codec
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Flac

Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM, learn more at