Some thoughts on the Unity/Gnome 3 change

I migrated to Ubuntu Linux about 6 years ago after being alienated by
the total mess that Windows XP/Vista had become. The Gnome2 desktop was
easy to master, not all that dissimilar from Windows. Then Ubuntu
introduced Unity about the same time that Gnome3 superseded the old
linear menus. I really disliked the new interface models at first and
wondered why Linux developers just couldn't stick with the old tried and
true.

A year of so later, my perspective has changed completely. I'm currently
using Ubuntu 11.10 w/Gnome 3.2 and the Avant dock. After getting used to
the change I'd never go back (although Ubuntu 11.10 offers the option of
the "classic Gnome" desktop). The incredible flexibility of lenses
combined with the traditional linear menus and launchers in Avant makes
just about every task easier faster and more fun.

My advice to those who find Linux' general move away from the old
Gnome/Windows menu model uncomfortable is to just slowly acclimatize
oneself to them. The fully user-customizable Avant dock (AWN) is a great
tool to ease that transition as it offers everything the old Gnome2
menus did and more. Gnome2 fans can explore the new paradigm without
being lashed to it for every task. I suspect most users will eventually
find themselves more comfortable with Unity or Gnome3 and many will
become happy fans.