I have never had reliably good luck installing XFCE LXDE or KDE on top
of the basic Gnome or Unity Ubuntu. Going all the way back to at least
Ubuntu 9.04  KDE in particular seems to corrupt something in Gnome fonts
while its own fonts are clearly screwed up versus a Kubuntu Mint or
Mepis KDE install. Try Xubuntu or Lubuntu. My favorite would be Lubuntu,
specifying the LXDE shell versus the other choices at login.