On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 12:44:20 -0700
wes <p...@the-wes.com> dijo:
>On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM, John Jason Jordan
><joh...@comcast.net>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 07:19:59 -0700
>> wes <p...@the-wes.com> dijo:

>> >As far as I know, CUPS does not allow for changing the name of a
>> >printer. You have to add a new one and delete the old one.

>> I have done so. I have half a dozen "printers" installed for my Xerox
>> Phaser 7400DN, each with a different PPD and/or driver. I was able to
>> call each one different things. The name works in the dialog box and
>> when I use lpr at the command line.
>>
>> I am pouring concrete today and don't have time to give details. I
>> also have other comments re editing the PPD file, but they will have
>> to wait until later. Concrete waits for no man.

>I know you can do it by editing the config file. For Victor's
>particular case, I would suggest going the add/remove route.
>
>I tried on my CUPS interface and the name field is not editable when I
>click Modify Printer. That, combined with my experience on Mac and from
>Victor's description of what he's doing, tells me CUPS really doesn't
>want us renaming things.

OK, let me say first that I am using Fedora 16, x86_64, not Ubuntu.
Therefore, some configurations may be different for me.

To change the name of the printer I just open Administration >
Printing, which opens system-config-printer 1.3.8, "a cups
configuration tool" in a dialog box showing all my installed printers.
If I right click on a printer one of the options is Rename. Selecting
that pops up a warning that renaming the printer will lose history. If
I select OK to ignore the warning the name under the printer icon
becomes editable. I can call it anything I want.

Regarding the PPD files, Victor has a partial solution by installing a
different "printer" that he wishes to rename. The different printer
uses a PPD file that apparently can print only in simplex. His other
printer can seemingly only print in duplex. So his plan is to use one
"printer" when he needs simplex and the other when he needs duplex.

That is a solution that will work, but a more elegant solution would be
to edit the PPD file for the newly installed printer so that it will
offer the option of printing duplex OR simplex, and will do so
reliably. If that can be achieved, then he can just delete the original
"printer."

PPD files are plain text documents of only a couple pages. It is
trivial to edit a PPD file. However, knowing *how* to edit the PPD file
is not so trivial. You need to understand the syntax. In Victor's case,
however, the only syntax knowledge required is the language for the
simplex-duplex options. The syntax for PPD files is doubtless
documented somewhere on the net (Adobe would be a likely guess), but
you could also just open a lot of PPD files and read through them until
you find the right lines.

Before I conclude let me point out something about PPD files. When you
download a PPD file your browser placed it in your default download
folder, probably Desktop or Downloads or something. When you install
the printer using the PPD file you point the installer to the
downloaded file. At that point CUPS makes a copy of the PPD file in
(too lazy to check) /etc/cups/ppd/. It is the copy that the driver
uses, not the one in your download folder. So edit away, but your edits
won't take effect until they are made on the copy that CUPS uses.

I hope that adds something to the discussion. It is 8 pm, all my
muscles ache and my hands hurt. I'm going to bed.