Earlier today, I finished editing a script for backups. Parts of this script
have been working for months, and now they are failing. Things like tar, gzip,
ls, and grep, are now reporting as "no such file or directory". As I said,
these commands in my script have worked for months. Now, the exact same
commands are failing. It acts like a path issue, and I haven't made any changes
to the environment on this box.

Specifically, this line:

tar zcpf ${archiveDir}/dbdumps${DATE}.tar.gz .

results in 'tar (child): gzip: Cannot exec: No such file or directory'

gzip is always in the path.

And, if I run;

# which gzip

I get:

/bin/gzip

If I run the tar command from the command line, it works. If I run the script,
as the same user, from the console, it fails. If the script runs from cron (the
desired place to run it), it fails.

Any ideas?

Russell Johnson
r...@dimstar.net