"Two hosts on the same ip network don't use any
routing protocols. A default gateway is not needed either."

<pedant>
Two hosts on the same network *segment* (physical, and logical) often don't
need routing or gateways. You can. however, have a large network (or even a
small one) that requires a router. Example:
Host a) 10.2.0.10/255.255.255.0
Host b) 10.3.0.10/255.255.255.0
</pedant>

The linux networking stack may be more forgiving, and just pump out
"who-has" requests and get a MAC back, but as I read the specs, each host
above *should* only search in their respective 255.255.255.0 space to build
their ARP table,.. but I may be reading it wrong, and welcome correction.