>>>>> "Keith" == Keith Lofstrom <kei...@gate.kl-ic.com> writes:

Keith> For bimonthly movie night, my wife and I watched "Absurdistan".
Keith> The title is apt.  Director Veit Helmer recently made
Keith> "Baikonur", http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iK464i6tzw a drama
Keith> filmed at the active Kazakh/Russian launch center, which I
Keith> would like to see.  Amazon sells the DVD for PAL region 2,
Keith> which is incompatable with my Hollywood-infested DVD player.

Keith> Will a PAL region 2 disk play using Linux DVD player software?
Keith> Will the English subtitles display?  I'm guessing this can be
Keith> set up with a lot of effort, but many tweaks may be needed, and
Keith> frame-rate incompatabilities leading to ugly video.

My little dab of anecdotal evidence: I bought a Czech movie direct
from Prague on DVD, which arrived and played fine on my linux box.
Never released here. The english title was "Sekal has to die".  I saw
it twice at the PIFF in the pre-parenthood-golden-age-of-cinema, then
waited another ~10-ish years to see it again on the DVD.

seni...@aracnet.com