Denis,
   These guys are all volunteers.  Some may get paid for some of their
work, but by a third party who employs them to work on the code for their
own purposes.  Like chip companies paying people to ensure that Linux is
properly supported on their parts.  And I've not reviewed the code in
question, so I'll not speak to competence, but one of the Linux Kernel Devs
primary directives is "Don't break stuff in Userland that used to work!"
It's a good rule, and has served the community well.
            -Mike

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Denis Heidtmann
<denis.heidtm...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Ali Corbin <ali.cor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Denis Heidtmann
> > <denis.heidtm...@gmail.com>wrote:

> >> This seems to be in sharp contrast to the traditional advice given to
> >> managers of people: praise in public, criticize in private.  Was it an
> >> error that this appeared on a mailing list?
> >>
> >> I am speaking as an outsider not knowing the organization nor the
> >> organizational relationships here, so please enlighten me.
> >>

> > The LKML is _the_ means of communication among kernel developers.  All
> > info, all questions and all patches funnel through it.  And yes, it has
> > more than its share of flame wars.
> >
> > Linus himself will readily speak his mind whenever he sees anyone doing
> > something stupid.  And changing the kernel to break innocent applications
> > in user-space is a sure-fire way to press his button.
> >
> > Ali
>
> I repeat that I do not know the organizational relationships.  Are
> this guys paid or are they volunteers?  If they are paid, why not
> silently fire a guy if he is as incompetent as Linus makes him out to
> be?  Or is Linus exaggerating?
>
> -Denis

*"...No ethically-trained software engineer would ever consent to write a
DestroyBaghdad procedure. Basic professional ethics would instead require
him to write a DestroyCity procedure, to which Baghdad could be given as a
parameter."* -- Nathaniel Borenstein