I've been using an Alfa long range wifi unit on Mint KDE for a few years ,
& it works very well.  My Alfa is model # AWUS036H.  It has the Realtek
8187 chipset.  I don't use Ubuntu, so I don't know how well it will work
with that distro.  A lot of my friends have used Ubuntu with their Alfas of
various chpsets & models, and they've had good results.

cheers,

Elcaset

On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 2:59 PM, Roderick A. Anderson
<raander...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 02/02/2013 10:51 AM, Diane Petersen wrote:
> > I have an Acer Aspire netbook running Ubuntu 12.04-32 bit, and the
> > internal wireless network adapter has gone intermittent.  I will be
> > traveling soon and decided to go ahead and get a USB adapter with long
> > range capabilities instead of replacing the internal one.  I have done
> > research, primarily on the Alfa units.  It seems I should be looking
> > at chipset and compatibility with my kernel version.  It looks like
> > these units are using a variety of Realtek, Ralink, and Atheros sets.
> > Linux drivers are incredibly hard to find.  I'm coming up on Google
> > with vague "it sort of works but your have to…" over things I cannot
> > understand.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166056
>
> I've installed one of these for a couple of friends and both worked out
> of the box.  A another friend recommended it and likes it so much he has
> had extras on hand that I've bought from him.
>     One install was for Windows Vista machine and the CD had the driver
> (if that interests anyone.)
>
> Signal-wise it far exceeded my ASUS Netbook's wireless.  I saw about 3
> to 4 times as many access points around my house with it.
>

> Rod
> --
> > I'd like to see if anyone is using a unit that works under the Ubuntu
> > 12.04 kernel.  Brand is unimportant, but it has to be available in the
> > marketplace.  A recommendation would save me headaches of buying
> > something that does not work.  I don't need full monitoring capability
> > or the ability to use tools to hack networks.  I just want to find
> > available weak/distant free open wifi any hour of every day, and not
> > just when my internal unit decides to function.  802.11n would be
> > really nice but I will take what I can get.  Selling one?  Even
> > better.

Free Geek Seattle- Helping The Needy Get Nerdy
http://www.freegeekseattle.org/
https://groups.google.com/group/freegeek-seattle/topics?hl=en

K Desktop Environment- Experience Freedom & User Friendliness
http://kde.org/

Free Lossless Audio Codec
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Flac

Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM, learn more at