On Feb 28, 2013 8:51 PM, "John Jason Jordan" <joh...@comcast.net> wrote:

> At first I thought it was Banshee, because that is what was on the
> screen at the time. I could not easily terminate Banshee because of the
> difficulty in clicking on things, so I opened a GUI terminal. When the
> terminal opened it immediately displayed "do you want to list all 2253
> items? Y/N," as though I had already given it a command. It accepted
> "N" from the keyboard without problem, and I was able to terminate
> Banshee, but the "do you want to list all 2253 items?" message kept
> re-displaying.

It sounds a bit like your tab key is getting stuck, or something is causing
your computer to think the tab key is held down. (And possibly another key
like alt.)

The flickering you describe sounds like the fast shift of focus from one
menu entry to the next and back around.

On your other machine: try holding down (or tapping very quickly) tab and
another key (such as as alt, shift, or ctrl) and see if the behavior is
similar.

This doesn't sound like an actual video problem to me, mostly because of
what you saw in the terminal.

--Rogan