http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instruction_set might be a good midpoint to
start at. Code compiles to very, very, simple instructions, which are
derived from a huge legacy of computing... for example, you mentioned
electrons (or "elections", heh), but I started with paper tape storage,
which was later related to drum storage, which spawned other kinds of
magnetic and chip storage. As an alternate to starting at a midpoint, maybe
start at the beginning, and work your way through the history of computing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_computing It's about 4,000 years
long, but to simplify (which is why so many things go abstract), we
invented machines that count beads really freaking fast, and then used
bead-counting as a way of doing things that didn't, at first, seem to
involve counting.