Thanks! Comments in-line below.

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com>wrote:

>    Here it is:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> # $XConsortium: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.4 91/08/22 11:41:34 rws Exp $
>
> <snip>

> # Start the window manager:
> exec /usr/bin/wmaker $NOCPP
>
> <snip>

>    There ain't no error text. X is invoked and the xfce4-10 desktop
> displays.
> But the cap lock and left ctrl key have not been switched.

I wonder if your .xinitrc is actually in use.  Are you using startx to
start the X server? (If you're logging in via a graphical log-in manager,
then you're probably not using the .xinitrc any longer).

I ask because the last line appears to be starting Window Maker, while you
later refer to XFCE; if you're intentionally running Window Maker as the WM
for XFCE, then that's all fine and as it should be (although I'm not
certain where XFCE is being started from).

I suspect that instead, another script is being run that is starting an
XFCE session, and your .xinitrc is no longer in the loop.

One way to check is to create a new .xinitrc that contains only:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/xterm

then restart and start X again.  If you get nothing but an xterm, then
indeed, you're using the xinitrc.

--Rogan