On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 03:52:30PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> I was under the impression that rsync did not overwrite a newer file with
> an older file, but that's what just happened. I'd like to understand what I
> did incorrectly so I can avoid this mistake in the future.

In my experience, rsync is best for one-way file system
synchronizations (i.e., mirroring).  If both file systems are likely
to change (e.g., a desktop and laptop that both see frequent use),
then I highly recommend Unison.

    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

    Unison is a file-synchronization tool for Unix and Windows. It allows
    two replicas of a collection of files and directories to be stored
    on different hosts (or different disks on the same host), modified
    separately, and then brought up to date by propagating the changes
    in each replica to the other.

It's one more tool to learn, but is well worth it if this sort of
situation occurs regularly.

--
Paul