On 11-May-13 8:42 AM, David Fleck wrote:
> I don't use spreadsheets very often, so my cell-formula-fu is quite
> limited.  I'm trying to come up with a way of having a cell (let's call it
> 'A1') contain the value of another cell.  That other cell will be the last
> occupied column of row 1, and it will vary over time.  So sometimes I want
> A1 to contain the value of E1, because that's the last occupied column;
> but other times it should contain the value of W1, because that is the
> last occupied column.  I rummaged through the Help, but didn't see
> anything that obviously solved my problem.
>
> Can this be done?
>
> If so, can someone explain how?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> David Fleck
> david.fl...@mchsi.com
There's several ways to tackle this one. The easiest (but a little
inelegant) would be to use a named range for the column or a named range
in the cell one beyond the end. Then every time you insert a new row
into your active data area, you would automatically expand the range or
bump t6he marker cell down a row.

Another solution (I haven't tested this myself yet, but it looks right)
from the Minor Point blog offers a formula solution good for both calc
and excel. You can read about it here:
http://minorpoint.blogspot.com/2010/09/how-to-find-last-used-row-in.html

Hope that does the trick for you!|

--