>From the Debian mailing list...

Multiple people seem to have this issue, including me. The problem is
solved in gnome-shell from unstable, you can either wait until it
migrates to testing (in 1 or 2 days I guess, judging from the QA page
[1]) or you can install from unstable with "aptitude install -t unstable
gnome-shell" (no quotes). Make sure you have unstable in your
sources.list file. Just be careful not to upgrade your whole system to
unstable, but only that package.

It worked for me!

Mark