This evening I was trying to install a program from source. Yeah, I
should know better. But I have what appear to be superb detailed
instructions. Except that the instructions are for Ubuntu so they are
full of apt-get commands, but generally all I have to do is replace
apt-get with yum.

There was a command:

sudo yum install qt4-dev-tools libqt4-opengl-dev libqtwebkit-dev

It executed without error, but after 15 minutes I assumed it was hung,
so I killed it with Ctrl-Z. Then I tried it again, but just the
qt4-dev-tools. This gave me:

Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 20774.
Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
  The other application is: yum

So I tried 'sudo kill 20774' and the command executed without error,
but yum is still running. I tried killing 20774 from sudo top, and
again it executed without error, and still failed to kill yum.

I can't do anything until I figure out how to drive a stake through
yum's heart. Any suggestions?