On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 12:50:14 -0700
John Jason Jordan <joh...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 11:13:15 -0700 (PDT)
> Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com> dijo:
>
> >On Thu, 1 Aug 2013, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> >
> >> I used git to collect the source and put it in ~/sleepyhead-code.
> >> Then I installed (per the instructions) qt-devel, qtwebkit-devel
> >> and gcc-c++ which, it turns out, were already installed with the
> >> latest versions. Then I ran qmake-qt4, which also exited without
> >> error. But when I then ran make -j2 I got a list of errors, some
> >> of which are:
> >
> >John,
> >
> >The usual procedure for building and installing from source code
> >has three steps:
> >     1. configure
> >     2. make
> >     3. make install
> >The last is run as root (or sudo).
> >
> From your description it appears that you missed the configuration
> >step. This checks your system for required libraries and sets
> >application paths. You can see the avabilable options by typing (from
> >within the source directory),
> >     ./configure --help | less
>
> Running the above command from within the source directory
> (sleepyhead-code) I got:
>
> bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
>
> The person I got the instructions from must have done a .configure,
> because the instructions listed three packages that needed to be
> installed. (I already had all three installed.) I don't know how he
> ran the .configure command. It sure doesn't work for me.

These days, configure is part of the GNU Autotools package, which
provides a standard way of building your programs.  There are
other build tools out there, such as Ant, and CMake.  In this case,
the programmer(s) decided on QMake.  You don't need to (and
_cannot_) run configure.

That said, I think you have something mis-configured in your
system, John.  I just did a git clone of the sleepyhead sources,
and did the qmake-qt4 / make sequence.  It took a few minutes, but
sleepyhead compiled just fine.  I don't have any of the required
hardware to test with, but the program started with no errors, and
seems to function.  (Fedora 17, dual-core Athlon 64-bit system.)

--Dale

--
"If the future navigation system [for interactive networked services on
the NII] looks like something from Microsoft, it will never work."