On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 12:56:46 -0800
Bill Barry <b...@billbarry.org> dijo:

>How is the Linksys connected to the D-Link?  You should have a wire
>going from one of the LAN ports on the Linksys to one of the LAN ports
>on the D-Link.
>You do not want a wire going from the WAN port on the Linksys to the
>D-Link. The WAN port on the Linksys should not have anything connected
>to it (footnote).
>
>(footnote unless you have purposely bridged the WAN port  so that it
>can act as a LAN port)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm making progress now.

The wire from the D-Link to the Linksys was connected to the WAN port
on the Linksys, at least I think it is the WAN port. There are five
ports, one of which is separated a bit from the others. It was on the
separated port.

I moved it to one of the other four ports, and restarted the Linksys,
and now I can connect my laptop to it, and ifconfig now lists it as
wlan0, but I still can't get into the Admin page with Firefox.

When I restarted the Linksys the D-Link gave it .165, where it had
been .179 previously. And when I connected to it with my laptop its
name is now 'linksys' where before I had named it 'JJJ.' And there is
no security.

I could fix the security and the name issue if I could just get into
its Admin page.

And I'm still puzzled why I have an eth0 and an eth1, where eth1 has
all the traffic and eth0 seems to have none.