The ** seems to be a rdiff-backup 'feature' matching strings including
/'s.  so **.iso would find anything ending in .iso in any directory
being backed up.

You do need to decide if your backing up your personal files or
everything.  As keith points out using a tool that backs up everything,
means you can restore the data on a new disk, and be ready to go when a
disk crashes. (maybe some fiddling with the boot blocks). OTOH, just
backing up 'personal' files means when the disk dies, you get a copy of
the OS distribution, reload the OS, and then restore your data. At the
1000 ft level it's a toss up. The image backup will probably
be a faster reload. Only backing up personal files means if you did any
customization to you
system you have to remember what you did. What were those 27 extra
packages you loaded?...
Or ignore the missing 'custom' packages and when you notice it's
missing, stop what your doing, download the package and go on. If your
on the internet that's not too bad an approach nowadays.

back to all those error messages - lots of stuff in / you might want to skip
/proc, /dev, /run are magic system created by the kernel and should be
skipped, no personal files there, /run as you found has sockets that
running processes create.

If you just after personal files, /lib, /lib32, /lib64 /bin, /sbin,
/root, /usr are all system files that would be regenerated with a system
reload - and you need to know what your doing if you try to build these
with a system install, then piecemeal copy additional files from your
backup into these directories. -- of course if you put stuff in
/usr/local you might want to backup that, and all the personal data,
whereever that is.

steve