"Could the auto-negotiate depend on the order in which things are turned
on?"

In a decade of working intensively with speeds of ethernet, I have never
seen this to be the case. Auto-neg is a sold standard that has been very
well tested
and implemented. Any network device made in at least the past 15 years
should default to auto-neg on.

With that being said, if there is a cabling fault or a NIC is failing  that
could certainly cause two net devices to not auto-negotiate.

It's really easy to check eth speed/dup/auto-neg on the linux box side with
ethtool:

~$ ethtool eth0

Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                        1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: No
*Supports auto-negotiation: Yes*
Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                        1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
*Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes*
Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                     100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
*Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes*
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full