On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 10:24:09 -0700
t...@wescottdesign.com wrote:

> Now I can see Servo from this computer, and I can get to its files
> using Samba, but all the "pure linux" apps can't identify it by name
> -- even though I can ping my wife's Windows machine by name!!!
>
> Does anyone know how to resolve this?  We use the office machine as
> our svn server and I have my kid writing software for me this
> summer.  If worse comes to absolute worst I'll just assign the thing
> an ethernet address off the router's DHCP table, but I'd rather not
> have to manage a bunch of fixed IP addresses if I can help it.

Check /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname.  They should look something
like this:

/etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1   servo servo.local localhost localhost.local localhost4 \
localhost4.local4
::1         servo servo.local localhost localhost.local localhost6 \
localhost6.local6

/etc/hostname:

servo.local

That should be sufficient.  If not, I'm sure someone will let us
know.  :-)

Hope this helps.

--Dale

--
Penn's aunts made great apple pies at low prices.  No one else
in town could compete with the pie rates of Penn's aunts.