> Michael R wrote:
>
>  Jon Drews wrote:
> > New member here. I would like to know if there is a command to encrypt
> > files? I thought it was "crypt" but I see that is in section 3 of the man
> > pages, meaning it's a programming function.
>
>  Another option is to store the file(s) is a zip archive. If they are already
> in
>  a compressed format you can skip attempts to compress with the -0 option.
>
>    zip -0 -e <FILESPEC>

Not sure I'd rely on the encryption built into zip(1); even the manpage
says it is relatively weak.  When I need to email someone something
sensitive I generally use 7za(1) which uses 256-bit AES*.  If you install
the p7zip package you;ll get a zip(1)-like wrapper for 7za which you might
find more intuitive.  And depending on your desktop environment you may
be able to encyrpt/decrypt using 7za by right-clicking on files/directories
in the file manager (works in Nautilus'; select Compress.. >>".7z" & "Other
Options" for encrypting).

Some typical CLI uses:
# 7za a -p secret_passwd archive_file.7z *.pdf
=> creates secret_passwd protected archive_file.7z containing ./*.pdf

** this method can also add _additional_ passwd-protected files later **

# 7za e -psecret_passwd archive_file.7z *.pdf
=> extracts all files from secret_passwd protected archive_file.7z

note: DON'T use -p w/o an argument - errors will occur

* from the 7-zip forums WRT passphrases:

  Do  understand that one only need use a symmetric key of the same
  bits entropy as the employed algorithm to achieve maximum securi-
  ty benefit. A passphrase (symmetric key) comprised solely of ran-
  dom digits need be just 77 characters in length  to  achieve  the
  security equivalent of the AES256 algorithm. 43 random characters
  would be required if utilizing a 62 (upper, lower, digits)  char-
  acter  set.  But there's no limitation to passphrase length, with
  the exception that for decryption of RAR archives,  so  it  would
  appear  that  cmd is the limiting factor (2047 or 8191 characters
  as appropriate to your operating system).

You could also use openssl for encrypting files but it's awkward and
apparently regularly appearing bugs...

Have fun,
Jeff