Fred,

If your ISP provides you with directory access / Shell access to the files
and they provide this service via Apache, it is possible that they also
have configured apache to allow you to provide directives to the webserver.
Documentation starts here: http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/PasswordBasicAuth

It is possible to configure this on a per directory basis, so that each
user on a server can set their own permissions for files.

If you ISP has not done this, then there this is where using Content
management systems comes in, since they have done all the work on time to
make it simple. If you have to use cpanel to address configuration issues
for your website, then you may end up loading up a CMS to do this work
faster than getting the ISP to adjust apache configurations.

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Fred James <fredj...@fredjame.cnc.net>
wrote:

> OT web question
> My ISP allows me a web site, with a fair amount of disk space.
>
> I want to make a (sub) directory to which I can allow someone to login
> to, and upload files, without allowing them access to other
> directories.  I should, of course, also have access to this directory,
> so that I may retrieve those files easily.
>
> Any simple/easy suggestions?
> Thanks
> Regards
> Fred James

John Sechrest       .   Need to schedule a call :
https://clarity.fm/sechrest
                                   .
                                        .
                                                .