On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:05:43 -0700
Michael Dexter <dex...@ambidexter.com> dijo:

>KDE, Unity, even XFCE, are massive, complex software environments that
>achieve simplicity of user experience through rigid adherence to a
>given paradigm - and once you can write a shell script, they do
>remarkably little for you. We'll discuss philosophy, tools, and
>practical advice for simpler, more reliable, and more powerful
>computing without a desktop environment, surveying everything from
>non-annoying network profile handling to the wide world of mouse-free
>window management and everything in between.

I can use a minimal desktop like Xfce, but I'm trying to imagine how I
could function without any desktop at all, even if I was a master at
shell scripts, which I most definitely am not.

I started my day by writing a couple pages with LO Writer where I
alternated between American English and polytonic Greek, which uses not
only a different alphabet, but up to three diacritics per letter. Then
I wrote several pages for phonetics students where I used the
International Phonetic Alphabet extensively (Unicode 250 to 2AD, plus a
few outside of that block). Then I downloaded a pic from my phone,
spent 15 minutes altering it in the GIMP, then uploaded it to
Craigslist using Firefox.

Can I do all of this without a desktop environment using just shell
scripts?