On 11/14/2014 03:40 PM, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> I am looking to replace my aged HP 930C inkjet.  We do not print very
> much--cartridges last more than a year.  We have no scanner at
> present.
>
> Eyeing HP Envy 4500 and Epson XP-620  all-in-one.  The Epson has
> better specs, uses separate color cartridges, and has lower per page
> costs.
>
> Questions those on this list might be able to answer:
>
> Are the nozzles on the Epson in the cartridges, or are they part of the
> printer?
>
> How much difficulty might I run into with Epson driver compatibility?
> Googling tells me that this is  not an issue, but I would like some
> confirmation.  HP seems to have more universal Linux support.
>
> Are the better specs (9600 v.s. 2400 scan resolution) specsmanship or real?
>
> Thanks to all who offer opinions.

I'd go with HP is possible.  I've looked at some Cannon, Epson, and
other, printers that have good specifications, but the unreliable, and
usually, proprietary driver support is a non-starter for me.

The HPLIP packages are in all major distros, or easily installed from

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

Some "All-in-One" or multifunction (MFP) printers require a proprietary
plugin to scan, but the support chart at the above link explains that fully.

Currently, under HPLIP-3.14.6, I have the following printers running
under Slackware64 14.1:

HP Laserjet M1212nf     ethernet, color scanning, proprietary plugin
HP photosmart 8250      USB, color, Free Geek special, separate inks
HP Officejet Pro 8620   ethernet, scan, color, separate inks, duplex

The HP 8260 cost lest than a full set of cartridges!  It also nice abd
flat: 6 1/8 in (15 cm) if you don't pop up the display screen.

Head over to

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/index.html

and "shop" for the specifications you need.

-Ed