Thank you for the many comments. Several got me thinking. I now
have a better idea of how/why I got to where I am.

In summary:
   I am trying to move away from Windows (and similarly
Canonical) - the "vendor
   knows best" syndrome which yields excess baggage installed by
default and
   essential software missing.

   I've settled on Debian (or a derivative).
   The key features were:
       1. large user base
       2. large repertoire of precompiled software. (apt, synaptic)
       3. others have found Debian & derivatives useful.
       4. avoiding rolling releases
   A short form of my personal goal is:
        1. bring back *PERSONAL* to personal computing.
        2. understand Linux internals
        3. minimal number of modules

In the near term I will base my work on Debian Squeeze:
   1. I already have a collection of preseed.cfg files for
several use cases.
   2. I comes with Gnome2 *NOT* Gnome3.
   3. Its d-i results better approximate some poorly specified goals.
   4. There is a group applying security fixes.
   5. Wheezy does not appear to offer any features of personal
interest.
      (suspect I will skip Jessie for same reason)

I'll attempt to follow Nate Taylor's suggestion to follow
http://live-systems.org/build/.

It may not be an ideal approach. But any failures should be
educational ;}