On Wed, 7 Jan 2015, Rich Shepard wrote:

On Wed, 7 Jan 2015, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

I tend to write my emails and other documents with a target line length
approaching but less than 68 characters

So, what do you folks find easiest to read, and what is your tolerance range? I expect some will respond like "all lines MUST be exactly 72 characters, use a thesaurus to find words with the correct spacing" or "my enter key is broken so it is all one line." Such responses will be weighted appropriately.

My MUA is alpine running in an xterm and using Joe's Own Editor (joe). The line length is set to 78 characters. The virtual terminal window geometry is 130x40 characters. This helps with all the html-formatted mail that is the norm with Microserfs and those using GUI mail writers.

I also use alpine, but with the built-in (pico) editor set to wrap at 70 columns.

When I respond [...], I reformat the long line of each paragraph to a maximum line length of 78 chars (using the joe shortcut of ^k-j).

My alpine is compiled with Eduardo Chappa's multi-level-quote patch that gracefully handles replying to threads where multiple people are quoted:

  http://patches.freeiz.com/alpine/

A simple Ctrl-J almost always correctly reformats even the gnarliest paragraph.

alpine also composes with and honors the "format=flowed" text content-type defined way back in RFC 2646 so that, say, paragraphs composed in my terminal will wrap smoothly in your client even if your client has a different column width than mine.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinl...@madboa.com