On Wed, 14 Jan 2015, Galen Seitz wrote:

Hi,

Is anyone else seeing problems with denyhosts not blocking some failed
logins?  This popped up in last night's logwatch:

Galen,

I've largely ditched DenyHosts for Fail2ban, but I saw similar things a few weeks ago. The problem was that somewhere along the line the entries in syslog no longer matched the regex that indicated a failed login.

I ended up writing a new set of regexes for Fail2ban. They sometimes overlap with the existing ones (which I didn't alter), but I'd rather have a bad log entry match twice than not at all.

Bottom line: I'd suggest comparing the log entries that weren't matched with the regex code in DenyHosts.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinl...@madboa.com