Slashdot had an interesting link today, about the technologies that
betrayed silk road's anonymity.
http://www.itworld.com/article/2881775/four-technologies-that-betrayed-silk-roads-anonymity.html
here's a quick teaser:

  Five technologies that betrayed Silk Road's anonymity

1. Bitcoin is traceable. A detailed public ledger keeps track of each
wallet a bitcoin passes thru.
2. Its nice to use encrypted chat tools like TorChat, but not wise, to
log your chats to your local computer in unencrypted files.
3. encrypting your hard disk is only helpful if your computer is shut
down when the government grabs it, but take your laptop to a public
place, sit with your back to the crowd, and the computer can be seized
before you can
shut the lid of the laptop. Giving the Feds full access.
4. the Feds read facebook. Don't tie your secret identity to yourself there.
5. ssh can provide protection by encrypting data, but if you have
password-less key pairs, tied to your identity on your own computer, if
the Feds seize your computer running, you just gave them all the keys.

Now don't get me wrong, I would never advocate doing anything illicit,
but it's important to know if your doing the right things to keep
communications secure.

steve dum