At one of the places I tend to stay while on vacation, I always look
forward to the initial wifi setup (with dread). As you point out the
issue is ssl connections. All my typical urls are https: now a days -
and they produce a  phony certificate that they want me to accept to log
into their redirected page. What a nice man-in-the-middle security
attack.  I had fun talking with their customer support, who either
didn't have a clue, or were well trained to make the customer think
there was no issue. Finally I asked for a url that gave me access to
their login page. They went off for a while and came back with an
incredibly long http url. What idiots! I had already decided the best
solution was to start off by browsing to any short http url - e.g.
foo.com. They redirect it to their login page and everyone's happy.
(for some reason unknown to me shorter urls like a.com weren't as
reliable, but typing foo.com is sufficently short and easy. It should
get any of the wifi login servers redirect login page.
steve