I live on the top floor of an apartment building with a flat roof ...
apparently under a roof top ventilation fan.

My monitor, a ViewSonic flat screen LED screen, blinks and flickers
during certain periods but only when the roof fan is running.  I cannot
tell if the interference is coming directly from the fan, or possibly
from electric wires that may be in the wall?

I have been playing with a couple sheets of aluminum foil on the wall
behind the monitor ... maybe it is just my imagination, but that seems
to help a little bit?  And sometimes it seems that it doesn't.

Any suggestions?  Thank you
Regards
Fred James