I second that RE: Broadcom, they are a royal pain compared to Atheros, you
can get a lot more done with the Atheros radios due to the openness of the
whole thing.  Indeed if you are into amateur radio you can obtain
programming
data to use the Atheros radios on the amateur bands which in several cases
are shared with the 802.11 stuff.  And there being amateur bands at 3 and 5
Ghz, some of those radios will also work in those bands if you have the
proper
firmware to change them, Atheros will supply it for amateur band usage.

Here are the amateur bands for the which I have found both radios and
drivers
from Atheros:
• 1240 – 1300 MHz (60 MHz)
• 2300 – 2310 MHz and 2390 – 2450 MHz (70 MHz)
• 3300 – 3500 MHz (200 MHz)
• 5650 – 5925 MHz (275 MHz)

Broadcom, no way.

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 12:05 AM, Russell Senior <russ...@personaltelco.net>
wrote:

> Nathan> I'll add my vote for the RT-N66U; I've had one for a bit over a
> Nathan> year now, and it's been pretty solid. The stock firmware's nice,
> Nathan> but I ended up putting beta dd-wrt on it (my wife diagnosed me
> Nathan> with chronic fiddler syndrome...), which also works quite well.
>
> I generally advise against devices with broadcom radios.  Their drivers
> have historically been painfully reverse engineered and are generally
> less featureful (or you are extremely limited by the closed-source blobs
> you are provided) than devices with atheros radios, with generally have
> good open-source drivers.  It might not matter to you, but it does to
> me.
>
>   https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC66U
>
> and:
>
>   http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/asus/asus_rt-n66u_1
>

> --
> Russell Senior, President
> russ...@personaltelco.net

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.