Google searches can have a lot in common with turning 1000
monkeys loose on 2000 typewriters expecting _The Decline and Fall
of the Roman Empire_.

Asking questions on fora can get bogged down in minutia (e.g.
"when up to #### in alligators it's difficult to remember swamp
draining is goal").

Case in point:
My starting point is complete DVD sets of Debian 6, 7, and 8.
Optimizing for clock time:
   A. copy each version to individual directory on "flash drive"
and/or "hard drive"
      such that resulting structure will be /debianN/dvd1.iso ...
/debianN/dvdM.iso
   B. create a local repository of each version in its own partition

For my unique case, I have adequate if imperfect solution(s).

I suspect that "How to research Linux questions" will have much
in common with various articles on "asking good questions on
Usenet". If fact this might be an expansion the most common #1
point under "how to ask ..." --> "Do your homework."