On 10/24/15 06:15, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Oct 2015, chris (fool) mccraw wrote:
>
>> I think you should put /opt on the SSD.  It is, for the effects of this
>> conversation, "your OS".  Nearly every other distro keeps all of its meat
>> in /usr, i guess slackware uses /opt for the installed packages instead.
>
> Chris,
>
>    Over the years this issue repeats on the slackware mail list or
> linuxquestions. Purists say all executables should go in /usr and
> custom-built, company-specific applications should be installed in
> /usr/local. Yet, applications such as google-earth and jgnash install by
> default in /opt. To me it's similar to asking if you keep your wallet in the
> left or right pocket of you pants.

Stuff you build yourself generally goes in /usr/local, and third-party
applications generally go in /opt.

For example, I have electronic design tools from companies like Altera,
TI, and Xilinx.  I install their software under /opt.  Because I can
almost always find packages(rpms) for the other stuff I need, my
/usr/local happens to contain only one tool that I built myself.

Since you are the only one using your machine, you can obviously put
stuff wherever you like, but if you stray too far from convention, you
might find yourself swimming upstream.

You can find more rationalization for this here:

/usr/local
<http://refspecs.linuxbase.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch04s09.html>

/opt
<http://refspecs.linuxbase.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch03s13.html>

Top of the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard spec
<http://refspecs.linuxbase.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/index.html>

galen
--
Galen Seitz